Recipe How to make ‘Gemista’ stuffed Tomatoes
17/02/2023 Skiathos Restaurants (0) Comments
Here is a recipe for Greek stuffed tomatoes, or gemista, that you can try at home:
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and flesh with a spoon. Keep the tops of the tomatoes for later.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, and dill. Add the olive oil, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Stuff each tomato with the rice mixture, leaving a bit of room at the top for the rice to expand. Replace the tomato tops.
- Place the stuffed tomatoes in a baking dish and add enough water to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the tomatoes are tender.
- Remove the foil from the baking dish and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the tops of the tomatoes are lightly browned.
- Serve the stuffed tomatoes hot, garnished with additional herbs and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy Greek stuffed tomatoes, or gemista!